Leyv Ha-Ir (Heart of the City) is a small, growing Reconstructionist Congregation with most activities located at the Ethical Society Building at 1906 S. Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia.
Founded in May 1990, Congregation Leyv Ha-Ir is led by Rabbi Julie Greenberg. Our members come from all branches of Judaism, including Reform, Conservative and Orthodox, and include recent converts to Judaism. Our members include students, professionals, rabbis, singles, couples, and those in traditional and non-traditional families.
We welcome you to explore your Jewish identity and the Jewish holidays with us. Our calendar is packed with an abundance of activities, including Shabbat and holiday celebrations, along with opportunities for learning, and connecting with community.Our members foster a caring community by nurturing each other’s spiritual, intellectual, emotional and physical lives.
- We encourage and accept each other’s varied paths and expressions of Judaism.
- We value traditional and contemporary liturgy in a participatory setting to explore an evolving sense of the Divine.
- We are inclusive and accepting of difference.
- We connect with our ancestors and Jews around the world through observance of Jewish life cycle events and holidays.
- We enhance our Jewish identities by study, social action, and participation in the larger Jewish Community.